Houses of Multiple Occupation
Edinburgh Letting Centre is an HMO specialist agency. We have turned many Edinburgh properties into higher yield HMO investments and over the years have dealt with dozens of HMO applications and Edinburgh Council inspections. We have been applying successfully for HMO licenses when other agencies failed with HMO requirements.
Scottish Government considers living accommodation as an HMO if it is:
- Occupied by three of more persons from three or more families; and
- Occupied by them as their only or main residence; and
- Either a house, premises or a group of premises owned by the same person with shared basic amenities.
- Maximum fine for letting unlicensed HMO property is £50,000.
- HMO properties generate higher yields, but HMO management is time consuming.
What do we do:
- HMO project management and HMO applications at no additional cost (full management only).
- We are HMO specialists.
- Advice on valuation and presentation.
- Advice on HMO licensing. Filling in HMO documents.
- HMO application as a standalone service.
- Marketing: to let board and Zoopla, Lettingweb and ELC website.
- Interviewing prospective tenants and conducting accompanied viewings of the property.
- Comprehensive independent reference and credit checks on all prospective tenants.
- Providing detailed inventory and schedule of condition, including photographs.
- Prepare full tenancy agreement, signing and serving the appropriate notices.
- Organise Legionella Risk Assessment, Portable Appliance Testing, Electrical Installation Condition Report.
- Organise smoke and heat detectors, fire blankets and fireproof additions.
- Deal with rents, deposits and deposit returns.
- Interim and final inspections.
- Cover council inspections.
Why do you need a good HMO agent?
- Reducing HMO turnover
- Tenant selection
- Dealing with requests of 3+ tenants
- Avoid fines up to £50,000
We can help you HMO your Edinburgh property
Edinburgh HMO application support service
1) We will carry out visual valuation, verify current safety certificates requirements and possible remedial works.
2) We will organize and manage all necessary works and certificates (Annual Gas Certificate [for properties with a gas supply], Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR), Annual Emergency Lighting Certificate, Annual Portable Appliance Test Certificate (PAT), Annual Fire Appliances Certificate, Current Part 1 Fire Alarm System Certificate, Annual Sprinkler System Inspection Certificate in accordance with BS9251 [for properties with sprinklers], Fire Safety Risk Assessment). Door closers, door fireproofing and anti arson letterboxes may be necessary. We would manage all remedials, but landlords cover the cost of remedials and certificates.
3) Depending on floor plan and bedroom sizes, we could apply for license for 3 or more tenants. In case of bigger, more spacious properties, the living room may become an additional bedroom. Edinburgh Council license application fee is £653 for 3 tenants, £871 for 4 tenants, £1089 for 5 tenants for a 3 year license.
4) We will accompany Edinburgh Council inspectors during their initial inspection visit.
5) We will manage possible remedials works recommended by the HMO inspector.
6) We will accompany Edinburgh Council inspectors during their final inspection.
7) Our management fee for HMO application standalone service is £795+VAT, payable in advance.
8) Edinburgh HMO application service can best be used together with our Let Only / Tenant Find Only service to advertise your property, carry out viewings, referencing and draft a lease. Please note that HMO application service is included free of charge in Full Management service.
9) Please contact us for more details: email@example.com or call Miles or Daniel at 0131 662 8035.